Recipe: California Roll
Active Time: 20 minutes
Difficulty Level: 3/5
- 2 cups sushi rice 4 cups water ¼ cup + 2 teaspoons rice vinegar, divided 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 sheets gimMe Sushi Nori
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- optional 8 oz. imitation crab meat, shredded
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ English cucumber, sliced into thin sticks
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Rinse rice in cold water until water runs clear then drain completely.
- To a medium pan, add rinsed rice and water. Cover and bring to a simmer then reduce to a low simmer and cook 18-23 minutes until rice is tender and water is absorbed.
- Transfer cooked rice to a large mixing bowl, sprinkle with sea salt and stir in 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, then let cool to room temperature, folding mixture occasionally.
- Meanwhile, prepare vegetables and crab salad. Slice avocado and cut cucumber into thin sticks.
- For crab salad: in a food processor shred crab into small pieces and pulse with mayonnaise, 2 teaspoons rice vinegar, and sugar until combined.
- To create your roll, place a piece of Sushi Nori rough side up on your sushi mat (with the long sticks running horizontally to your body) and, using wet hands, cover Sushi Nori with an even ¼ - ½ inch layer of cooled sushi rice. *gimMe tip* if you don’t have a sushi mat, you can use a damp tea towel instead!
- Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon of toasted sesame seeds then flip the Sushi Nori over so the rice is now touching the mat.
- Place a thin row of about 3 tablespoons crab spanning the width of your Sushi Nori about an inch away from the Sushi Nori/rice border closest to you.
- In additional rows in front of crab, layer avocado slices and cucumber sticks.
- Using your fingers to hold the ingredients, start to roll the front part of the sushi roll like a burrito and tuck it tightly around the fillings. Lift the sushi mat up off of the tucked portion and continue to roll, moving the mat after each rotation.
- Once tightly rolled, remove the mat completely and use a wet serrated knife to saw the sushi roll into 8 pieces. Rewet knife as needed so rice doesn’t stick. *gimMe tip* first cut the sushi roll in half, then cut each of your 2 halves in half, and finally cut each of your 4 pieces in half for 8 even bites!
- Enjoy with your favorites like soy sauce, wasabi, and pickled ginger!
Restaurant Quality Sushi Nori
- Perfect for making sushi at home
- Great as a gluten-free, low carb wrap!
- USDA Organic, Non-GMO Project Verified, Certified Vegan
Don’t wrap your rolls in just anything. Made from the highest grade organic seaweed on the planet, our organic sushi nori is premium restaurant quality. The light, roasted taste will kiss your favorite ingredients like a fresh ocean breeze and is perfect for making maki or hand rolls. Low calories and low carb, it’s the perfect start to all your sushi making adventures.